Motor Vehicle Totaled

If Your Motor Vehicle is Totaled

If the vehicle is totaled in an accident it is important to remove the plates and either have them registered to a different vehicle or cancelled. Be sure to acquire a Return Plate Receipt if you return the plates to the Registry of Motor Vehicles as you will need to show this receipt to your insurance company and your local board of Assessors. You may be entitled to an abatement when you cancel the plates, otherwise you will remain liable for the excise tax until the return plate receipt or a Lost or Stolen Plate Receipt is shown to the local board of Assessors.